If you are interested in starting a tow truck business or being a registered tow truck operator (RTTO) in the state of Washington, you will need to receive a Washington Tow Truck License/Endorsement.
Any business that transports, impounds, or stores authorized vehicles needs this license. If your business disposes of abandoned vehicles, you will also need this license.
The Washington State Department of Licensing issues new licenses. Here's the steps you need to take:
How to get a Washington Tow Truck Endorsement
Step #1: Complete license application
You can download your Washington Business License application online and submit by mail.
You can also apply via the My DOR portal.
- You will need to have your place of business and equipment inspected by the WA State Patrol.
- The state will need you to provide a list of all the drivers for your business.
- Complete a Vehicle Transport/Disposal Addendum.
Step #2: Purchase insurance
You will need the following insurance:
- $100,000 liability for bodily injury or property damage
- $50,000 garage keepers and $50,000 on hook or cargo
Step #3: Purchase surety bond
- Registered Tow Truck Operator Bond in the amount of $5,000.
The amount you will pay for your bond is dependent on many factors, one of which is your credit score.
Want to know what you would pay for your Washington Registered Tow Truck Operator Bond? Get a free quote below. There's no obligation to buy, just free quotes.
Step #4: SubmitMail all your documents and fees, in the form of a check or money order made out to "Department of Revenue" to:
Business Licensing Service
PO Box 9034
Olympia, WA 98507-9034
Fees schedule can be found on the DOR website. View Fee Schedule.
Contact the Department of Licensing at 360-664-6466